Sunday, November 30, 2008

A SUMMER TREAT TO HAINAN

Summer was coming to town that time. I was so excited because our spring term is about to end. Vacation was ruling all over my mind. I was thinking of going around China that time with my friends after my classes. As it was coming, my colleagues were asking me about my plans after the term. They were also asking whether I will go with them in their summer camp with students to Hainan – an island in south China. They added that it’s a school’s treat for me as I was about to leave the school that time – end of my contract. I absolutely didn’t expect that because my contract ends on June 30th and they’re going to the summer camp on the same date ‘til July 4th. I just humbly answered that it’s my pleasure and a great honor and that I would love to go with them. They were so elated upon hearing my answer.

When the time came for our trip, one of my colleagues phoned me for I was already in the city where the airport is (the capital of the province – for our branch school is about two and a half hours by bus away from the capital), I was staying at my friend’s that time, she told me that they are already at the airport and immediately took a taxi to the airport. There I met them with 17 students and we had a great conversation for it’s like two weeks that we didn’t see one another for I took my vacation ahead of time, right after our term ended. When we checked in, I was kinda surprised because we were having connecting flights (Hefei to Guangzhou – one hour and 45 minutes, then Guangzhou to Hainan – one hour and 15 minutes). Our flight was 6:45pm and I was thinking we would arrive too late at night which is not good for our students. They would be very tired. But we have no choice, the agency booked it for us.

Students were very happy as they saw me at the airport, I am going with them. I felt great honor for best was always offered to me, best seat on the plane, best room in the hotels we stayed and so on. I just thought I am a foreigner with them. But it’s a treat for me, they said.

I was really right. We were in truth so tired when we arrived at Hainan airport and we still had to travel for almost an hour to our hotel. Luckily we had a restful sleep in a marvelous hotel where we stayed for the first night. We started our day the next morning at 7am and began roaming around the island after our breakfast. I didn’t feel so strange for its weather is perfectly similar to that of the Philippines. But for them, they said it’s very hot. Every now and then it rains and later it shines.

We went to a lot of historical scenic spots in the island. We first went to the evergreen park and we were entertained by its beauty and grandness - indeed an evergreen park. The we continued circling the magnificent island for four days. We never stayed in one single hotel, we kept transferring from one place to another and stayed in the nearest hotel when darkness starts to cover the whole place. Despite we were very tired with our activities during the day time, still our students wanted us to go swimming with them at night after our great dinner. So we had to be with them and I did enjoy our time together.

As we pursued our stay there, we visited various tourist attractions. We went to a volcanic site turned into a scenic spot, botanical garden, famous native tribe, museums like butterfly museum, seashell museum, crocodile park, water world park, factories, beaches, famous female soldiers barrack and so on. It was really a fantastic experience. So, try not to forget including it as part of your vacation plans. Enjoy everyone and be happy every day.

You can also visit me in my other sites:

1 comment:

TAX said...

hi, thanks for continously leaving me your thoughts... i am pleased. wish u the best...